Thursday, July 6, 2017

Rising Brookie Net - The Perfect Wading Net

As a catch-and-release fly-fisherman, I find a solid, fish-friendly net to be nearly as important as my rod and reel. So after breaking my first net ( a small and simple wooden frame) I knew that I wanted to upgrade to something durable and versatile with the all-important rubber netting. Given my criteria it didn't take long to find Rising Fly Fishing, a small, but growing company out of Utah specializing in american-made, aluminum nets.

At first, I was a little thrown off by the price on Rising's main wading net - The Brookie - as my first net cost me about $30.00 on Amazon. However, after half a year with the Brookie I've yet to feel even the slightest hint of buyer's remorse, and frankly can't imagine fishing without it. Here's why:



Construction/Materials/Quality:
The Brookie is a solid net, and I mean that quite literally. The frame construction is high grade aluminum so it's both light and durable. I've never felt the metal bend and it is very resistant to scratches and dents. The grip/handle section is textured and even more stout than the rest of the frame  with more than enough length for two hands. The net bag isn't anything revolutionary, but it is strung directly through the frame so you know its not going anywhere. Best of all, Rising makes all of their products in the USA and guarantees their nets with a lifetime warranty.


Feel/Practicality:
The biggest problem I've encountered with nets while walking and wading is their tendency to get in the way. Most of the time this is not necessarily the net's fault but rather an equipment set-up error; however, a large, bulky, or awkward net will only complicate things. With the Brookie, Rising Fishing threaded the needle by providing a lightweight net that can comfortably accommodate the occasionally monstrous trout without being too large to carry around all day. Overall, I don't mind having the Brookie on my back for a full 10-12 hour day on the water, and most of the time I forget it is even there.


Fish-Friendliness:
This is by far the most important category to me when choosing a net as ultimately I would prefer a  net that allows me to be easy on the fish I catch. The Brookie is incredibly fish friendly because it has a large and deep rubber-mesh basket. This allows me to keep the fish upright in the water and facing upstream while I remove the hook and revive it before releasing it. If you don't understand why this is important then you should check out my post on Catch and Release ethics and Fly Fishing. Long story short - Having a net like the Brookie will allow you catch and release a fish with as little handling and air exposure as possible.

Final Thoughts:

I never thought I would really care about having a certain type of net with me on the water, but since getting the Brookie, I've changed my mind. This net is durable, good-looking, attractive, made in the USA, and easy on fish. What more could you ask for?


><> TIGHT LINES <><

No comments:

Post a Comment