Monday, January 16, 2017

Vedavoo TL Beast Sling Pack Review

This summer, as I accumulated countless more flies,  boxes, and gear, it became increasingly clear that I had outgrown my trusty Orvis sling pack. The search for a suitable upgrade eventually led me to Vedavoo, a small US-based company specializing in custom, handmade packs. After browsing their selection I quickly identified the TL Beast Sling as an ideal candidate. The Beast boasts a simplistic, yet appealing design that is focused on comfort, size, and ergonomics, all the whilst making the wearer look like a complete badass on the river! So what did I do? Well, of course I ordered one right away.

Before You Continue.....
I should add that this review is comprised only of my own thoughts and opinions. What you read is not in any way influenced by or incentivized by Vedavoo or any other companies. These are my thoughts, and mine alone. 



First Impressions:


The beast arrived in a surprisingly small postal service parcel, and both Alina and I were amazed at how small this pack can be once empty. Aesthetically speaking, it really is a beautiful piece of equipment, but it isn't over the top. Trying it on, I loved the fit and feel on my back. It hugs tight without any extra straps to get in the way, and swings to the front with ease. By the time I tracked down all the pockets and compartments I knew that I had made the right choice from a storage perspective. The only thing that was left now was to fill er' up and hit the water.



Testing Environment:

All of my use of this pack was restricted to walk-and-wade fishing in Southwest Montana. I hit the Madison, the Big Hole, and the Beaverhead (Not to mention a few secret spots too!). I tend to be a pretty active fisherman, and often walk 4-5 miles in a full-day of fishing which is where this pack really shines.  Lastly, I'd imagine by this point that I've easily booked 60 hours with the Beast on my back, most of which came from full-day trips from 9 AM to 5 or 6 PM.

Aesthetics:

For the Beast, I feel like the appearance of the pack is the best place to start. The front strap of the pack is as simple as it gets with a sturdy buckle for easy removal. Moving to the pack itself however, I simply cannot overstate how much I enjoy the design and appearance. The design is simple, but attractive, and just looks like it means business. The colors you choose will determine the flashiness of the pack - For example, I chose orange and gunmetal to make it stand out a bit more, but Vedavoo offers 12 different colors to choose from ranging from camo to white. For further visual customization, I'd consider getting your hands on some cool patches which can be sewn into the Beast. By the time you get your tippet spools mounted, as well as your other various tools of choice, this pack really comes together.



Storage:

A pack can look great, but if it doesn't hold all your gear, or if things feel out of place then in my opinion it isn't really worth much. Without a doubt the Beast exceeds my expectations for both storage space and functionality while looking great at the same time.  For storage, there are 5 key compartments: The main fly box compartment, the beverage carrier, rear compartment, zippered valuables pocket, as well as two underside compression straps for a rain-jacket or fleece. The main compartment is nicely sized to fit 5 or 6 boxes of various size, but is designed to hold 7 or 8 original Tacky Fly Boxes . There is a separate sleeve in the main compartment for strike indicators, floatant, weight, and all that other good stuff. Behind the main compartment is another sleeve that is easy to miss. This one is perfect for soft and small items like a buff, gloves, and maybe even some snack material. The beverage carrier is such a nice upgrade from my Orvis pack. Its not quite big enough to hold a Nalgene, but can easily hold a smaller metal water bottle or thermos. Usually, I use it to hold my Stanley thermos or two cans of beer. The Zippered pocket which sits on the shoulder of your non-casting arm is perfect for fishing licenses, wallet, phone, and keys, and will keep everything perfectly dry. Lastly, the compression straps on the bottom of the pack add some versatility to an already spacious pack. They are perfect for holding a rain-jacket, but could be rigged to carry any number of items from lunch to more beer. Overall, the storage space on this pack is a serious upgrade for me, and perfect for long days on the river where a trip back to the car is not an option.

Functionality:
The Beast fulfills the role of a sling pack perfectly. Its simple in the front, and business in the back. Pulling the pack to the front is effortless, and thanks to the D-loops by the tippet spools, you can access nippers, hemostats, and the rest of your tools for rigging up. I love how the pack is like a little work station - Pick your fly out of the main compartment, tie on the right tippet, add some floatant, weight, or an indicator, and you're good to go! It works just like a sling pack should.

While you're fishing, the pack is totally out of the way, and Vedavoo builds the pack so that no weight or obstruction interferes with the casting arm. As long as its not too heavy, most of the time I don't even feel the Beast on my back at all. Landing a fish with the Beast sling is easy too - There is a connector for a magnetic net attachment that will put the net on your off side, but easily within reach. There are multiple loops for hemostat placement as well, my favorite sits on my left shoulder right next to the net attachment. Lastly, the quick disconnect on the sling strap, makes for an easy escape should you need to wade deep in a hurry, or grab a camera without pulling it around front. All in all, its awesome when you need it, and out of the way when you don't!

Comfort:
With all the bells and whistles that sling packs come with these days, sometimes it is easy to put comfort and fit secondary to form and function. Ironically, last thing anyone wants is to purchase a pack only to have it fit awkwardly or painfully on the river. Rest assured that such concern is a non-issue with the Beast sling, in fact, I'd go a step farther and say that comfort is one of this pack's top accolades. Having worn the pack on numerous full-day trips I can honestly say that 90% of the time I don't feel it on my back at all. It fits snug in the center of my back, and the weight seems to distribute evenly across the shoulders without any irritation. The few times I did have issues occurred largely due to user error - At times when the pack was not centered or I'd swung it around hastily.


Conclusion: All in all, the Vedavoo TL Beast sling is the total package: A great-looking pack with large capacity, high versatility, and complete comfort. The beast is perfect for long days on the river when you need lots of flies, lunch, beer, and anything else under the sun. I cannot recommend this pack more highly.



><> Tight Lines <><